Have you ever craved falafel, but want to avoid the oil and flour typically used with this popular Mediterranean and Middle Eastern street food? I have! Chickpeas are an amazing food – high in plant protein and fiber as well as numerous other nutrients and benefits. Unfortunately, with oil and refined flour, a lot of this benefit is masked with the detriment of added fat and quick-release carbohydrate with little nutritional benefit. My version of air fryer falafel will make both your body and your taste buds happy!
This air fryer falafel is pictured with a Red Pepper Coulis that I made as well, which is a superb flavor enhancer to this falafel. 😄
Please let me know how this recipe goes when you make it! Post a picture and tag one of the below social media accounts:
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss any future recipes:
Air Fryer Falafel – Gluten-free Whole Food Plant-basedYum
- Food Processor
- 1 can (15oz) Chickpeas
- 1 whole Shallot quartered
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup Parsley
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground red pepper
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 4 tbsp Garbanzo flour
- Add the quartered shallot, garlic cloves, parsley, ground cumin, salt, and ground red pepper to a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Process about a minute or until blended, then add the chickpeas and pulse 6 to 10 times until just blended, but not pureed. Stop to push ingredients down with a silicone spatula when they get stuck at the top and sides.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and the garbanzo flour, and pulse 2 to 3 times.
- Remove the processor and blade. Give it a few manual stirs to make sure the flour and baking powder is well incorporated.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- Form the falafel mixture into 12 balls, if they are sticky add some flour to your hands and your work surface.
- Preheat the air fryer 350F.
- Cook 14 minutes, until golden brown, turning halfway.