Have you ever craved falafel, but want to avoid the oil and flour typically used with this popular Mediterranean and Middle eastern street food? I have! Chickpeas are an amazing food – high in plant protein and fiber as well as numerous other nutrients and benefits. Unfortunately, with oil and refined flour, a lot of this benefit is masked with the detriment of added fat and quick release carbohydrate with little nutritional benefit. My version of air fryer falafel will make both your body and your taste buds happy!
This air fryer falafel is pictured with a Red Pepper Coulis that I made as well, which is a superb flavor enhancer to this falafel. 😄
Please let me know how this recipe goes when you make it! Post a picture and tag one of the below social media accounts:
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss any future recipes:
Air Fryer Falafel – Gluten-free Whole Food Plant-based
- Food Processor
- 1 can (15oz) Chickpeas
- 1 whole Shallot quartered
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup Parsley
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground red pepper
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 4 tbsp Garbanzo flour
- Add the quartered shallot, garlic cloves, parsley, ground cumin, salt, and ground red pepper to a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Process about a minute or until blended, then add the chickpeas and pulse 6 to 10 times until just blended, but not pureed. Stop to push ingredients down with a silicone spatula when they get stuck at the top and sides.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and the garbanzo flour, and pulse 2 to 3 times.
- Remove the processor and blade. Give it a few manual stirs to make sure the flour and baking powder is well incorporated.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- Form the falafel mixture into 12 balls, if they are sticky add some flour to your hands and your work surface.
- Preheat the air fryer 350F.
- Cook 14 minutes, until golden brown, turning halfway.