This kale apple coleslaw (with an optional addition of beets) is a creative twist on traditional coleslaw, with a sweet and tart flavor combination. It is much lighter than traditional coleslaw and very nutritious!
This beautiful and tasty salad, will not only enrich your body with vitamins but will also enrich all of your senses. Looking salad is beautiful and colorful! It is a great option for summer nights with your friend, garden parties, BBQs, etc.
So let’s talk about the nutrition in kale, beet, and cabbage.
First of all, kale is a cholesterol-free, fat-free, sodium-free vegetable. This green beauty is a good source of fiber and provides great nutritional benefits like vitamin A and vitamin C. Kale is a member of the cabbage family and is often considered a superfood. Kale provides approx. 1 gram of fiber per one cup serving.
- Calories: 7.2
- Fat: 0.3g
- Sodium: 10.9mg
- Carbohydrates: 0.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Sugars: 0.2g
- Protein: 0.6g
Health benefits of kale:
- better heart health
- healthy weight maintenance
- cell repair and protection
- better bone health
Want to know more about the amazing benefits of kale? Here is an article for you! The Top 5 Health Benefits of Kale, and Why You Should Eat it Every Day!
This beautifully colored vegetable is a very good source of folate and manganese and a good source of potassium and fiber. According to USDA, one cup, approx 136gr, of raw red beetroot contains:
- Fat: 0.2g
- Sodium: 106mg
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sugars: 9.2g
- Protein: 2.2g
Beet health benefits are numerous. Here are a few:
- fights inflammation
- reduces blood pressure
- improves endurance
- improves cognitive function
If you want to find out more about the amazing benefits of beetroot powder, I have an interesting article for you! Beetroot Powder: A Natural Boost For Your Health and Fitness!
This green ball full of nutrients belongs to the Brassica group of vegetables along with kale, broccoli, and cauliflower. It has been grown around the world for thousands of years, and it comes in a variety of colors, like red, green, white, purple.
Cabbage nutrition information:
- Calories: 22
- Fat: 0.1g
- Sodium: 16mg
- Carbohydrates: 5.2g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sugars: 2.9g
- Protein: 1.1g
Cabbage is a good source of potassium, folate, and vitamin K. Cabbage also provides some calcium, iron, vitamin A.
Health benefits of cabbage:
- promotes cardiovascular health
- supports brain health
- improves glucose control.
- cabbage is especially high in vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that may protect against heart disease
Want to know more about the fantastic benefits of apples? Consider checking this article!
Kale Apple Beet ColeslawYum
- 1 small Green cabbage head shredded
- 1/2 small Purple cabbage head shredded
- 3 whole Carrots julienned, or buy pre-cut 10oz package
- 1 whole Green apple grated (and another apple if you want more tart)
- 2 whole Fuji apples or Gala, grated
- 1/2 whole Beet (optional) grated
- 3 c Kale or 3 large handfuls, shredded
- 1/2 c Dried cranberries low sugar
- 1/2 c Sunflower seeds shelled and roasted
- In a large bowl, place shredded cabbages, shredded kale, julienned carrots, and grated apples. I grate the apples with a cheese grater right off of the core.
- In a small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients to make the dressing: yogurt, mayo, spicy mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl and stir to combine with the coleslaw.
- Add remaining ingredients to coleslaw: cranberries, sunflower seeds, and grated beet (optional) and gently combine. The beet is added last and stirred in gently as it will quickly color the whole coleslaw pink if overmixed!
- While you can enjoy this salad for several days, it is best enjoyed the day it is made and yields enough for a party. Enjoy!
❤️❤️Read About Me for details about my health journey; and, make sure you remember to sign up for my Newsletter and follow me on social❤️❤️!
Supporting me is appreciated as I create content to support your health journey.