Two of my favorite breakfasts came together and had a baby!! Who likes Eggs Benedict and who likes Huevos Rancheros!? You no longer have to choose with this Mexican Eggs Benedict! This is a healthy and vegetarian Mexican recipe my fiancé wanted twice in one week. This is far easier than you think with an easy muffin tin egg poaching trick and a quick Hollandaise made in the food processor. Hold all the unnecessary fat by skipping the butter in the Hollandaise (you don’t need it!) and making a healthier version of “chorizo”. I used tofu for the chorizo but I’ve also had great success with ground turkey. Use avocado or my guacamole recipe to top it as well.
There is no easier way to immerse yourself in the colors and scents of Mexico and feel the taste of colorful and rich cuisine than to prepare this simple breakfast This breakfast will become a favorite among everyone in the family!
Originating from central-south Mexico, the avocado tree has a long history of cultivation in central and south American. Avocado is a subtropical species, fruit with a creamy texture.
Nutrition information for approx ⅕ of an avocado (40gr)
- 64 calories
- almost 6 grams of fat
- 3.4 grams of carbohydrate
- less than a gram of sugar
- almost 3 grams of fiber
Avocado is very nutritious, containing vitamin K, vitamin C, B5, B6, potassium, iron, zink, phosphorus…Avocado is loaded with monosaturated fatty acids and powerful antioxidants.
Eggs have been a valuable food since prehistory times, and are very important staples in much of today’s food. Classified as a superfood, eggs are full of nutrients, containing Vitamin A, B2, B5, B12, vitamin D, vitamin E, calcium, and zink.
Nutrition information (single boiled egg):
- Energy: 62.5 calories
- Protein 5.5 grams (g)
- Total fat: 4.2 g, of which 1.4 g are saturated
- Sodium: 189 milligrams (mg)
- Calcium: 24.6 mg
- Iron: 0.8 mg
- Magnesium 5.3 mg
- Phosphorus: 86.7 mg
- Potassium: 60.3 mg
- Zinc: 0.6 mg
- Cholesterol: 162 mg
- Selenium: 13.4 micrograms (mcg)
- Lutein and zeaxanthin: 220 mcg
- Folate: 15.4 mcg
Eggs contain antioxidants that have major benefits for eye health. They are high in protein with all essential amino acids, and they raise HDL (the good) cholesterol.
Tofu is a high-protein food product obtained by coagulating protein in soy milk. For centuries, it has been a major ingredient in many Asian cultures. Unlike many other protein products, tofu has no cholesterol at all.
Nutrition information (100gr):
- Protein: 8 grams
- Carbs: 2 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Fat: 4 grams
- Manganese: 31% of the RDI
- Calcium: 20% of the RDI
- Selenium: 14% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 12% of the RDI
- Copper: 11% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 9% of the RDI
- Iron: 9% of the RDI
- Zinc: 6% of the RDI
Health benefits: soy isoflavones may help reduce bone loss and increase bone mineral density, reduce the risk of diabetes, and have a positive influence on memory and brain functions.
Please let me know how this recipe goes when you make it! Post a picture and tag one of the below social media accounts:
Easy Mexican Eggs Benedict w/ Tofu Chorizo & Chipotle HollandaiseYum
Easy Poached Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add a tablespoon of water to each muffin tin mold.
- Crack an egg into each mold. Set aside.
- Place muffin tin with eggs on center rack in oven for 10 minutes.
- For Tofu Chorizo: Add a tablespoon oil to pan and heat over medium-low.
- Ring out the extra water in the tofu with a towel or napkins.
- Add 3 cloves of minced garlic to pan. Heat until fragrant.
- Add Tofu to pan and break apart into small pieces.
- Blend seasonings into Tofu: oregano, chili powder, pepper, ground red peper(or cayenne), ground cloves, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt. Reduce heat.
- Meanwhile, make "hollandaise". Separating and saving eggs white for later, add 4 yolks to a processor.
- Add 2 heaping tbsp Chipotle in adobo sauce.
- Add Lime juice and salt.
- Process Chipotle "hollandaise" until smooth.
Mexican Hollandaise Assembly
- Toast halved English muffins.
- Remove eggs from the oven after 10 minutes. You will remove the with a slotted spoon.
- Plate the Mexican Benedict: Top muffins with Tofu Chorizo.
- Spoon on top guacamole or fresh avocado.
- Carefully add egg by removing from muffin tin mold with a slotted spoon.
- Drizzle Chipotle hollandaise on top with a spoon.
- Garnish with diced Jalapeno and roughly chopped cilantro.
- Optional: serve with a side of salsa.