This Tuscan Quiche is a fantastic option if you are expecting guests or as a delicious weekend breakfast. It looks fancy and tastes savory, and at the same time is healthy, full of proteins and veggies, with less than half the fat of traditional quiche recipes.
This quiche is made with my Garbanzo Bean Pie Crust recipe, which is super easy to make and is gluten-free. Keep it healthy by using that recipe for your pie crust or go crust-less!
Let’s talk about a couple of the healthy ingredients in this Tuscan Quiche filling.
Did you know that Artichoke is not a vegetable? Surprise! It is a type of thistle, and they are packed with powerful nutrients. They are low in fat, rich in fiber, minerals, and vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin K, magnesium, and folate. Artichokes are one of the richest sources of antioxidants, they are low in calories, and have an enviable amount of proteins.
120gr of cooked, unsalted artichoke contains:
- Calories: 64
- Fat: 0.4g
- Sodium: 72mg
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugars: 1.2g
- Protein: 3.5g
With such a great structure, artichokes definitely have some benefits for our health:
- May Lower ‘Bad’ LDL Cholesterol and Increase ‘Good’ HDL Cholesterol
- Helps Regulate Blood Pressure
- May Improve Liver Health
- Promotes Bone Health
- Improves Gastrointestinal Symptoms
Spinach is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. It is full of vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid, iron, and calcium. It is a superfood!
100gr of raw spinach contains:
- Calories: 23
- Water: 91%
- Protein: 2.9 grams
- Carbs: 3.6 grams
- Sugar: 0.4 grams
- Fiber: 2.2 grams
- Fat: 0.4 grams
You can probably already assume that it is extremely beneficial to our health:
- It may reduce oxidative stress
- Regulate blood pressure
- Promotes eye health
- Fights cancer
- Prevents asthma
- Promotes digestive regularity
- It is good for our skin and hair
- It manages diabetes
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup Feta cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tomato medium-sized, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1/4-1/2 cup artichoke hearts canned diced *See notes about the amount
- 1/4-1/2 cup roasted red peppers canned diced *See notes about the amount
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Basil dried
- 1/2 tsp Oregano dried
- 1/4 tsp Thyme dried
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Rosemary fresh (preferably)
- 1 whole Pie crust * See notes for recommendation
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease pie pan and place pie crust into pan (if you bought separately). * See notes for healthy pie crust recipe.
- Add eggs, milk, and all seasonings except the fresh rosemary into a bowl. Whip with a fork, breaking the egg whites and stirring vigorously until a mostly uniform color.
- Ring out the canned artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers with paper towels to remove some of the liquid. Dice, if you haven't already.
- Add all the veggies except the tomatoes into the pie crust in a pie pan. There will be a lot of veggies! Hallelujah! No worries, they will cook down.
- Add the feta cheese, if desired, over the veggies.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies into the pie pan. Use a rubber scraping spatula to smoothie it down and ensure the egg has surrounded all of the veggies.
- Top with the tomato rounds and fresh rosemary.
- Put quiche in the oven. Cook about 45 minutes or until egg batter has set and a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Enjoy!