Let’s start my Spring Meal Prep Series with this healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Breakfast Vegan Baked Oats: gluten-free, fully plant-based, and super easy and quick to make! Besides, this recipe is low in fats and calories and has no added sugar.
For this recipe, I have also decided to use fruits that are now in season – strawberries and rhubarb! Opting for seasonal fruits not only ensures a better quality of our ingredients but is also great for our Planet and long-term well-being.
In less than 5 minutes, you will have a healthy and nutritious breakfast, packed with fiber and vitamins, ideal for everyone who wants to live a fit but tasty lifestyle. You can prep these gluten-free, vegan baked oats in advance and enjoy them on the go all week!
Are oats gluten-free or not?
One last recommendation: if you are looking for a fully gluten-free Vegan Baked Oats recipe, be aware of which type of oat you choose to buy. Indeed, oats are a naturally gluten-free grain. However, they are often contaminated with gluten because they may be processed in the same facilities as gluten-containing grains like wheat, rye, and barley. Therefore, make sure to buy gluten-free oats, especially if you are celiac or allergic to gluten. Click here to learn more about oats!
Social Media Channels
Ingredient Selection Tips
Look for firm and juicy stalks, with small leaves. These indicate that the stalks are young and fresh.
Look for strawberries that are firm and with fresh-looking caps. Make sure that they have a bright red and no green spots. You can use your nose to check if they are fresh and ripe enough: they should have a nice and pleasant smell!
Noteworthy Health Benefits
Rolled oats are gluten-free whole grains that are full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. They are also a great source of plant protein.
Oats have many health benefits, and here are some of them:
- Oats can help to reduce blood pressure
- They may help to lower cholesterol levels
- Oats are beneficial for digestive health
- They can improve blood sugar control
- This cereal may help to manage weight, as they are very filling
- They can be used as a soothing ingredient in your skincare
- Oats may decrease the risk of childhood asthma
- They can help to fight constipation
This delicious fruit is mainly made of water, with a small percentage of carbs. Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B9, and potassium.
Here are some of their main health benefits:
- They may reduce inflammation
- Strawberries are good for heart health
- They can help to prevent cancer
- Strawberries may help regulate blood sugar
Want to know more about the amazing benefits of strawberries? Here is an article for you!
Rhubarb is a good source of vitamin K1, calcium, and fiber. It can help to lower your cholesterol levels, and provides you with a good amount of antioxidants. But be aware that its leaves are toxic, as they contain oxalic acid.
If you want to know more about the amazing benefits of cinnamon, here is an article for you! 5 Health Benefits of Cinnamon, The Most Loved Autumnal Spice! ? Also, consider checking this article if you would like to find out more about the benefits of apples!
Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oats – Breakfast Meal PrepYum
- Cut the strawberries into quarters.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix the milk and ground flax seeds in another bowl, and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Then add all the other wet ingredients, along with the lemon zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and combine them well with a spatula.
- Grease the cake pan with the oil, and place the strawberries and rhubarb on the bottom.
- Layer the fruit with the batter.
- Top it with some pecans.
- Put it into a preheated oven at 375° F, until it is set and golden brown across the top.
- Serve it with some fresh strawberries on top and enjoy!