Already missing summer? These Eggplant Parmesan Bites will remind you of those hot Summer days all year round! Ideal as a fancy appetizer (I served them at my wedding reception 👰), and even as a quick snack, these bites are a reimagined version of the traditional Italian eggplant parmesan dish.
In addition, as with all my recipes, my eggplant parmesan bites are way healthier and more nutritious than the fried eggplant parmesan recipes you can find online. First, I decided to cook them in the air fryer (this is the one I have at home). Second, I swapped part of the parmesan cheese with some nutritional yeast. You can even go completely plant-based, and use only nutritional yeast. Lastly, I opted for a very light breading (just breadcrumbs, herbs and spices, and a pinch of salt).
The result is just as good, if not better than the fried version. They are crunchy, salty, and mouthwatering, yet still healthy and relatively low in carbohydrates!
What’s Good About my Eggplant Parmesan Bites
I personally love this air-fried parmesan bites recipe, as I managed to turn a traditionally fatty and heavy recipe into a lighter and healthier one. Plus, they are still as tasty and crunchy as their original version.
But what’s so good about these air-fried eggplant bites?
- A fun way to eat more veggies
Let’s be honest, not all kids like eggplant (or your husband, for that matter). These bites are the perfect way into tricking your children to eat them! Plus, these bites do also contain fresh tomato sauce, which is rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant.
- Experiment with new and lighter cooking methods
These eggplant bites are the perfect example that using lighter cooking methods doesn’t necessarily mean sacrificing the final taste of a dish! Indeed, my bites are perfectly crunchy and golden, as they would if they were deep-fried in oil!
- Use herbs and spices to cut unnecessary oils and salt
The breading of these eggplant parmesan bites is the perfect demonstration that you don’t need lots of salt and oil to add flavor to your dishes. Indeed, herbs and spices are among our best allies when it comes to giving a special kick to our preparations, without at the same time adding unnecessary fats and calories!
- No need to use just cheese
Everybody will agree that cheese is one of the tastiest foods in the world! I have a secret forbidden love affair with cheese 🤫. However, cheese (and dairy in general) are not the best when it comes to thinking about our long-term health. This is why I decided to switch things out and replace half of the cheese with some plant-based nutritional yeast. This is non-other than a deactivated yeast, that has a very similar taste to Parmesan cheese. However, it doesn’t come with all the saturated fats and cholesterol contained in the former!
- An easy and quick recipe
This recipe is also very quick and easy to make (less than 20 minutes of preparation). In addition, it is a great way to involve your family in the kitchen. Don’t be surprised when they disappear quickly!
If you loved these eggplant parmesan bites and would like to experiment with other air-fried recipes, these are for you: Air Fryer Green Tomatoes, Air Fryer Falafel, and Air Fryer Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower.
Eggplant Parmesan BitesYum
- 1 medium Eggplant Quartered and sliced
- 3/4 cup Almond flour
- 6 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp Arrowroot powder or flour
- 1.5 oz Parmesan (optional for vegans) finely grated
- 1/2 cup Almond milk or unsweeteed plant-based milk of choice
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Basil
- 1 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp Parsley
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Marinara sauce for serving
- Mix all of the ingredients except arrowroot, milk, and eggplant in one large bag.
- In another bag, add the eggplant slices. Sprinkle and shake in the arrowroot powder to coat the eggplant.
- Pour the milk in a bowl.
- A few pieces at a time, add the powdered eggplant slices to the bowl of milk.
- Remove the eggplant pieces from the bowl of milk and coat them with the breading mix. Shake to coat well.
- Remove the breaded eggplant pieces and set inside the air fryer.
- Repeat until you have filled a single layer of breaded eggplant in the air fryer (you likely will have to do a couple batches).
- Cook in the air fryer for 7 minutes at 350° F. Flip them halfway.
- Repeat with the other batches.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce.
❤️❤️Read About Me for details about my health journey; and, make sure you remember to sign up for my Newsletter and follow me on social❤️❤️!
Supporting me is appreciated as I create content to support your health journey.