Figuring out how to bake with less processed ingredients and no dairy has been a wild ride lately. Luckily this hamburger roll recipe turned out great, though I can’t say the same for the veggie burgers shown between the bun in this photo. Perhaps I’ll have better luck with that next time!
I love the vegan “egg” substitute with flax for an egg because flax is so amazing for you – Lots of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber, among other numerous benefits. I recently picked up date sugar to replace table sugar, since it is a healthier sweetener as compared to others.
I unfortunately had to put some all purpose flour in these hamburger rolls since using all whole wheat makes the bread too dense. I am still experimenting with different whole grains to see which ones can make fluffier breads, pancakes, etc! Please let me know if you know any and what your thoughts are on this hamburger roll recipe! ❤️
Please let me know how this recipe goes when you make it! Post a picture and tag one of the below social media accounts:
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss any future recipes:
Everything Seed Whole Wheat Hamburger Roll Recipe
- 3/4 cup Water Lukewarm
- 1 tbsp Ground flax
- 2 1/2 tbsp Water for making a vegan egg
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Date sugar Or regular sugar, but this is more nutritious!
- 2 tbsp Everything bagel seasoning You can buy this at the store or make your own
- 2 tsp Active dry yeast
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup Whole wheat flour
- Make the vegan "egg" by mixing the ground flax and 2 1/2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and let it sit a few minutes.
- Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients (everything but the bagel seasoning) by hand, mixer, or bread machine to make a soft, smooth dough. If doing in a bread machine, follow the instructions for your machine to mix the dough.
- Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until it's nearly doubled in size.
- Deflate the dough, and divide it into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball and flatten to about 3" across. Place the buns on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover, and let rise for another hour.
- Bake the buns in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden. Quickly add the Everything bagel seasoning upon removing so that the seeds stick.