This Roasted Winter Veggies recipe is part of my Winter Meal Prep series (check the video below for a walkthrough of how to make this). It is very simple to make, very tasty, and versatile in the kitchen. I hope you will like my ideas on how to use this simple dish to prepare healthy meals for you and your family, during these cold winter days. You can pair these with potatoes, salad, chicken, or some of the recipes listed below.
Suggested recipes to use roasted veggies with:
Ingredient Selection Tips
When buying root veggies, look for hard, springy, and smooth vegetables, with no bruises. If they come with the leaves, they should be fresh and bright green.
Fresh Butternut squash should have a smooth surface with nice beige color, with no bruises or dark spots. Also, the stem should be firm to the touch.
Noteworthy Health Benefits
Root veggies are rich in carbs and antioxidants, and low in calories and fat.
They are a good source of fiber, potassium, fiber, manganese, and vitamins A, B, and C.
The health benefits of having root veggies in your regular diet are:
- May regulate blood sugar
- May benefit your digestive system
- May help with weight management
- They are immune boosters and can fight some diseases
Butternut Squash is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It is rich in vitamin A, C, E, B3, B6, B9, magnesium, potassium, manganese, folate, plus it is low in calories. Here are the benefits of including butternut squash into your diet:
- May lower risk of heart disease
- May lower risk of cancer
- May protect against mental decline
- May help with weight loss
Winter Roasted VeggiesYum
- 2-3 Each Root veggies Diced. Examples: Parsnips, Carrots, Beets, Turnips, Sweet potato
- 1 lb Brussel sprouts quartered or halved
- 1 Butternut squash diced
- 1 Spaghetti squash halved (optional, for pasta replacement)
- Prep all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray pans with olive oil and set up assembly line to roast in the oven.
- Roast until able to pierce with a fork (tender).
- Enjoy throughout the week with the recipes noted above.