One of my latest obsessions: Vegan Tofu Chorizo! Quick and easy to make, it is a healthier version of the “traditional” chorizo. No unnecessary fats and calories are added to this dish!
Edit: this is comparable to the new plant-based Chipotle Chorizo. However, I made it first! This is a great copycat Chipotle Chorizo recipe.😉
What makes this Plant-Based Chorizo so good for you?
Tofu is one of my favorite plant-based meat alternatives. It is high in protein and low in calories and contains isoflavones, which are believed to be the main cause of tofu’s health benefits.
These benefits range from reducing the risks of heart disease and diabetes to strengthening bones. It is also said to improve brain functions. In order to rip all those benefits, make sure to buy tofu made from non-GMO soybeans. Besides, choose tofu that looks firm and fresh.
In this recipe, I have then decided to use a bunch of different spices and herbs. They help enhance the taste without adding too much sodium. The main one is garlic, a plant I particularly love for its many health benefits.
Garlic is indeed rich in rich in Vitamin C, B6, and manganese. It can help combat the common cold and flu. It also helps reduce blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels. Therefore, never skip adding it to your dishes!
Social Media Channels
Ingredient Selection Tips
Look for firm tofu with a fresh smell. Look also for tofu that is made from non-GMO soybeans.
It is always better to look for fresh spices in ethnic stores or, alternatively, online. This is because the spices you can find on supermarket shelves are often musty.
Noteworthy Health Benefits
Tofu is high in plant protein and low in calories. It is also rich in several essential amino acids, and different vitamins and minerals, such as calcium, manganese, copper, selenium, vitamin A, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, and zinc.
Tofu contains also isoflavones, which are responsible for tofu’s health benefits. Among them are:
- Tofu can help reduce the risk of heart disease
- It lowers the risk of diabetes
- Tofu may help strengthen your bones
- It aids in improving brain functioning
- It is helpful in reducing the symptoms of menopause
Want to know more about the amazing benefits of tofu? Here is an article for you! All About Tofu! + High-Protein Tofu Recipes
Garlic is poor in calories, while at the same time being rich in almost every micronutrient we need. In particular, it is loaded with vitamin C, B6, and manganese.
Here are some of its health benefits:
- It can help combat the common cold and flu
- Garlic may reduce blood pressure
- It can help improve cholesterol level
- This spice help lower the risk of heart disease
- It is helpful in preventing dementia
- Garlic may help detoxify heavy metals in your body
- It is useful in improving bone health
Thanks to healthline.com for extensive information.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to pan and heat overit medium-low.
- Rinse out the extra water in the tofu with a towel or napkins.
- Add 3 cloves of minced garlic to pan. Heat it until fragrant.
- Add the tofu to pan and break it into small pieces.
- Add the seasonings to the tofu: oregano, chili powder, pepper, ground red peper (or cayenne), ground cloves, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt.
- Reduce the heat and cook it until slightly browned (about 5 min).