❤️❤️Make sure you remember to sign up for my Newsletter and follow me on social❤️❤️!
I always have a bowl of hummus in my fridge! This Mediterranean plant-based dip is delicious, healthy, nutritious, and versatile.
You can experiment with different ingredients and spices, and make different hummus flavors, as I did in this easy and vegan Oil-Free Curry Hummus recipe. You will never get bored of eating hummus! Plus, you can also use it in other dishes, as I did in this Curried Chickpea Wrap.
For this recipe, I also decided to go completely oil-free, in order to have a lighter, low-fat recipe, suitable for everyone (here is another super tasty oil-free hummus recipe). Even being on a diet jas never been so easy and delicious!
How to make the perfect Oil-Free Curry Hummus
Here are some of my best tips for having the perfect Oil-Free Hummus, creamy and smooth without the need of using unnecessary fats and ingredients.
First of all, mix the tahini with the lemon juice in a food processor for about 1 – 2 minutes. This little secret helps to obtain a smoother and creamier hummus!
Second, use chickpeas that have been cooked until they’re very tender, almost mushy. An additional great tip here is to cook the legumes with some baking soda, as this raises the pH of the water and helps the chickpeas break down to a soft and ultra-smooth purée.
Third, try to use fresh-squeezed lemon juice. Store-bought lemon juice always tastes stale, and it will make your hummus taste the same. Buy lemons and your hummus will not only taste way fresher but will also be creamier!
Finally, save some aquafaba – i.e. the liquid in the chickpeas can, or the water beans were cooked in – and use it to thin out the dip. This tip is great to have a smoother and softer hummus.
Try these amazing tips for oil-free hummus and let me know how you liked it in the comments down below!
Ingredient Selection Tips
Always try to find fresh spices in ethnic or specialty stores, as they are probably fresher than the ones on the shelves of a supermarket. Choose small packets. It is better to buy them more often than to have one large package in the pantry for years, as they will expire.
This delicious sesame spread should be a light color and not have much oil on the top of the jar, as that could be a sign of old shelf life.
Noteworthy Health Benefits
Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, especially when paired with a source of grain. That way we get a complete protein. Chickpeas contain many minerals and vitamins, like manganese, copper, iron, zinc, and folate (vitamin B9).
Thanks to their amazing nutritional content, they provide many benefits for our health:
- They keep you full because of the high amount of protein and fiber, which is good if you are watching your weight.
- Chickpeas stabilize blood sugar regulation.
- They support digestion.
- They protect against some chronic diseases.
- Chickpeas promote brain health.
- They can prevent osteoporosis.
- This legume supports heart health.
- They are also good for the brain and nervous system.
- They help lower bad (LDL) cholesterol levels.
- They may help prevent anemia.
Tahini is full of healthy fats, minerals, and vitamins. It is high in vitamin B1, vitamin B6, manganese, phosphorus, and antioxidants.
Some health benefits of consuming tahini are:
- Tahini may lower the risk of heart diseases
- It contains anti-inflammatory compounds
- It is good for the central nervous system
- Tahini protects kidney and liver function
- It may have antibacterial properties
Turmeric is the spice that makes curry a yellow color. It contains curcumin, which is a strong antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties. Here is a list of some more health benefits of adding turmeric to your food:
- It could be helpful in treating Alzheimer’s disease
- It may help prevent cancer
- This spice lower the risk of heart diseases
- Turmeric may help with arthritis treatment
- It may help delay aging
If you’re stuck on what to eat your hummus with, here is a list of some foods to pair this healthy, high-protein dip with:
- Veggie sticks
- Sandwich filling
- Pasta sauce
Thanks, healthline.com for the comprehensive information about the health benefits!
- In a food processor, combine the tahini and lemon juice and process for about 1 – 2 minutes, scraping the sides to the bottom of the bowl when needed. This is a little secret of make this hummus smoother nd creamier!
- Add the garlic clove, cumin, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice. You may add the turmeric, if desired (see notes). Process for about a minute, scraping the sides to the bottom of the bowl when needed.
- Cook the beans (see notes) or open up a can of beans. Pour some of its liquid (aquafaba) into a bowl and set it aside. Rise and drain the beans. Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for about a minute. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, then add remaining chickpeas and process until thick and quite smooth – about 1 – 2 minutes.
- If the hummus is too thick or is still chunky, add aquafaba a tablespoon at a time until smooth and of desired consistency.
- Salt if needed. Enjoy!