This mood boosting smoothie is a lovely marriage between two of my favorite things – kombucha and smoothies! I am addicted to kombucha. Kombucha contains probiotics since it is fermented and consuming it improves the health of your microbiome 3. Since the gut and the mind are connected, a healthy gut means a good mood. Well, that’s why I think I just can’t get enough! However, kombucha is expensive, so I am making my own kombucha now.
Kombucha Smoothie with Powerful Ingredients
There are other reasons this is a super smoothie, other than the amazing benefits of kombucha and berries. Maca powder has an array of benefits, including enhanced energy and endurance 5. L-Theanine is a compound found in tea that has been proven to reduce anxiety . One could assume that L-theanine in a condensed powder form is more affective 5. The energy boost from maca powder is complemented well with the relaxing affect of the L-theanine.
Beets Improve Performance, Carbs Improve Energy
Beets are absolutely amazing for you, especially if they are raw! I started having beets more often when I learned that beets enhance your cardiorespiratory performance due to how it raises nitric oxide levels in your body. Since I am an endurance athlete, consuming beet juice may help me gain a competitive advantage. You can gain a competitive advantage in your sport too, especially endurance sports such as running and cycling. Beetroot juice has been shown to improve performance by almost 16% according to a small study conducted in 2014 1. Worth noting as well, carbohydrates from fruit are an excellent source for energy (thus boosting your mood) as they are your body’s preferred energy source.
I always finish off a smoothie with a source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which is proven to reduce depression and anxiety . This smoothie contains hemp seed, but you can also use flax seeds. I try to incorporate one of these into my diet daily! 2
Please let me know how this recipe goes when you make it! Post a picture and tag one of the below social media accounts:
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss any future recipes:
- How Does Beet Juice Improve Athletic Performance? – verywellfit
- Food for Mood: Relevance of Nutritional Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Depression and Anxiety – US National Library of Medicine
- 8 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Kombucha Tea – Healthline
- What are the benefits of maca root? – Healthline
- Does L-theanine have health benefits? – Medical News Today
- 1 medium Banana
- 1/2 cup Beets raw, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Berries any kind, any ratio. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries! Preferably frozen
- 1 cup Kombucha Fruit-flavored without additional herbs is better than tart kombucha flavors for this recipe.
- 1 tsp Maca powder optional, but energy boosting!
- 3 tbsp Hemp seeds or sub flax seeds
- 1 serving L-Theanine optional, but anxiety reducing!
- 3-5 cubes Ice Only if your fruit isn't frozen. I recommend using frozen berries or a frozen banana.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth. Enjoy!