This Indian Chickpea Lentil Soup is THE PERFECT warming recipe! Vegan, high-protein, and full of micro-nutrients, it will help you feel full and satisfied for longer!
Plus, it is gluten-free and meal prep-friendly! You can even make it in a slow cooker. This recipe is also part of my Formula for Healthy Weight Loss Soups. Make sure to check it out for more ideas and tips for a healthy weight loss journey!
Indian Chickpea Lentil Soup: how to make the PERFECT soup
This soup is rich in proteins -from the chickpeas and lentils- and veggies. These help you feel fuller and more satisfied, which is in turn ideal for losing weight without effort! Here are some tips to make this soup even more delicious and nutritious.
First of all, add some spices and herbs to boost the flavor of this soup. Here I opted for a mix of Indian seasoning blend, minced garlic, and onion.
Second, create the perfect balance of veggies and proteins. The two should be added in a roughly equal proportion. In this way, the fiber intake is not too high, and the protein intake is not too low.
Lastly, I suggest you rinse the legumes before using them in the soup. In this way, they will better preserve their nutritional profile and flavor. Besides, add some lemon juice to the soup: this will help you better absorb the iron contained in the beans.
For a handy printable version of the formula and ingredients:
Ingredient Selection Tips
Choose potatoes that are smooth, firm, and with no sprouts. Avoid potatoes with bruises, black spots, or green appearances.
Always try to find vegetable broth that’s organic, with low sodium content, as we don’t need more salt and are free from additives and artificial colors as many vegetable broths that aren’t fresh are filled with these ingredients. Opt for fresh if you can.
I always suggest you make your spice blend homemade, but if that is not an option, you can find it in a grocery store. Try looking in some ethnic stores and always check if the smell of the blend is strong enough, as that could be a sign of freshness.
Noteworthy Health Benefits
Lentils are super healthy and full of protein, which means they will keep you feeling full and your blood sugar steady, and help you with weight management.
Here are some other health benefits of lentils:
- They are filled with B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- Lentils are an excellent alternative to meat, as they comprise over 25% of protein.
- They are rich in fiber, which is helpful for our gut health and digestion.
- Lentils can improve your heart health.
- They can help lower your blood pressure.
- Lentils provide a proficient amount of folate, which is essential for women during pregnancy and for reducing the risk of gestational diabetes.
Chickpeas are rich in nutrients, and they are so versatile in the kitchen! They are an excellent source of plant-based protein, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, and vitamin B6.
Chickpeas provide many health benefits for us:
- Chickpeas can help keep you full because of the high amount of protein and fiber, which helps if you are watching your weight.
- Stabilize blood sugar regulation.
- Supports digestion.
- Protects against some chronic diseases.
- Promotes brain health.
- Can prevent osteoporosis.
- Supports heart health.
- Good for the brain and nervous system.
- Helps lower cholesterol.
- Chickpeas may help prevent anemia.
Indian Chickpea Lentil SoupYum
- Put the olive oil into the instant pot.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and peppers into the instant pot. Sautee them until the onion becomes translucent.
- Rinse the beans, and dice the potatoes. Add everything into the instant pot.
- Then add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes.
- Add the ground flax seeds.
- Add the Indian seasoning blend.
- Adjust your pressure cooker to high pressure, seal and cook for around 30min.
❤️❤️Read About Me for details about my health journey; and, make sure you remember to sign up for my Newsletter and follow me on social❤️❤️!
Supporting me is appreciated as I create content to support your health journey.