A staple of your childhood, but more nourishing! This healthy banana split 🍌is the perfect treat if you want to feel good without having to compromise on taste. Indeed, this recipe contains just whole, nutritious ingredients, and you can easily make a vegan version with just one swap! All you have to do is opt for vegan Greek yogurt instead of regular one.
My healthy banana split is great if you are looking for an energizing and satiating breakfast or snack, as it contains all three of the macronutrients our body needs in order to thrive, plus lots of minerals and vitamins. Starting from the carbs (contained in the oats and banana), to the proteins (of the Greek yogurt and chia seeds), and the healthy fats (contained in the coconut flakes and chia seeds). Plus, blueberries are packed full of antioxidants and vitamin C, both of which are natural anti-aging compounds!
In addition, it is a child-friendly recipe, ready in less than five minutes. All you have to do is cut in half the bananas. Then, cover each half with Greek yogurt, blueberries, chia seeds (I personally love this brand), coconut flaxes, and, finally, rolled oats. For a “fancier” recipe, or if you are looking for a richer treat, swap the oats with a handful of granola. You can either make it yourself or, if you are short on time, I personally love the granola from this brand, as it is completely organic, gluten-free, and sugar-free.
Healthy Banana Split: some simple tips for an outstanding treat!
Even though this is a very simple recipe, I came out with some simple tricks for making an outstanding breakfast banana split!
- Not too ripe, not too unripe. Using a ripe, yet firm fruit will allow for a naturally sweet banana split that doesn’t fall apart when you touch it!
- Don’t prep it in advance. Unfortunately, this is not a meal prep-friendly recipe! The reason for this is that when you cut the bananas too early they will start to brown. However, as hinted before, this should not be an issue, as this treat is ready in less than 5 minutes!
- Use ingredients with different textures and consistencies. Using ingredients with different textures and consistencies is key for a good banana split! For example, here I combined together a crunchy ingredient (the oats or granola) with a soft one (the Greek yogurt). Lastly, a jelly-like element (the chia seeds).
- Experiment with different combinations. Another great tip is to experiment with different combinations of toppings to place on top of the healthy banana split. This will not only add more variety to your diet, which is key for sustaining a healthy diet in the long term. It will also allow you to take in different micro and macronutrients. In turn, this is essential for a healthier and happier gut! One version of this healthy banana split I particularly love is with “chocolate Greek yogurt” (i.e. regular Greek yogurt mixed with a teaspoon of cacao powder and a touch of maple syrup) and diced strawberries. To complete the dish, a final touch of chopped hazelnuts! 🍓
- The final touch. The cherry on top of this healthy banana split is the drizzle of maple syrup! Alternatively, I love to use some peanut or almond butter, both of which are rich in healthy fats, vitamin E, and magnesium.
If you loved this recipe, these are other awesome healthy treats. Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies. Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, Apple Pie Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies, and Baked Oatmeal with Apples and Cranberries. And if you try any of them, please tag my socials (links are down below)! 💗
- 1 Plate
- Arrange the banana halves on a plate, leaving some space in between the halves.
- Scoop the Greek yogurt in between the halves.
- Top the bananas with blueberries, chia seeds, coconut flakes, and rolled oats (or granola).
- Drizzle generously with maple syrup for a touch of sweetness. Here you have a way healthier version than the traditional banana split!
❤️❤️Read About Me for details about my health journey; and, make sure you remember to sign up for my Newsletter and follow me on social❤️❤️!
Supporting me is appreciated as I create content to support your health journey.