Winter days are coming, so arm yourself with delicious, healthy, and warm recipes like this Curried Pumpkin Lentil Soup. It will keep you cozy and warm all winter long!
Ingredient Selection Tips
Dry Red Lentils
In this recipe, we are using red lentils, as they are easy and quick to prepare, and they make a creamy soup, just cook them well. Red lentils are easy to find in most grocery stores.
Noteworthy Health Benefits
Pumpkin contains many vitamins and minerals, and they are low in calories, as 94% of it is water.
It contains beta-carotene, which our body transforms into vitamin A.
Here are some health benefits:
- It can reduce blood pressure
- May reduce risk of chronic diseases
- Vitamins in it (A, C, E) may boost your immunity
- May protect eye health
- May promote weight loss
- May lower risk of cancer
- It can benefit heart health
- It can promote healthy skin
- It can prevent and control diabetes
Red lentils are a superfood. Among other colored lentils, they have a sweet flavor, and they cook quickly. They are also affordable.
These lentils have many nutrients (iron, B vitamins), and are a good replacement for meat as they have a good amount of protein and fiber.
The Health benefits of red lentils are:
- May boost energy level
- They can help in weight loss
- They promote a healthy pregnancy
- They can fight fatigue
- They promote digestion health
- May support heart health
Curried Pumpkin Lentil SoupYum
- Heat a large pot with olive oil.
- Add carrots, garlic, and onion. Cook until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add broth, pumpkin puree, lentils, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for ~15 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Serve hot. Optionally garnish with Greek yogurt, pumpkin seeds, and/or paprika.