Home-made, dairy-free, and sugar-free: these Vegan Chocolate Date Easter Eggs are THE perfect Easter treat! Forget about those unhealthy and highly-processed, milk chocolate Easter Eggs you can buy at the supermarket. These Vegan Chocolate Date Easter Eggs are not only wholesome and nutritious but also super tasty!
Why should you make these Chocolate Date Easter Eggs?
These all-natural, hand-made “eggs” only contain the natural sugars from the dates. Besides, their chocolate shell is made with only natural food colorings and monk fruit. The monk fruit, a small round fruit native to China, is one of the healthiest, zero-calorie sugar substitutes you can find out there.
The coconut and peanut butter filling are also rich in protein and fiber: you won’t have to worry about huge blood sugar spikes after eating them! The high fiber content will also keep you satisfied for a long time. This is helpful to prevent overeating and useless snacking.
Last but not least, these treats are quick, easy, and fun to make. Your children will love helping you prepare (and eat) them. Besides, these chocolate eggs can be stored in the fridge for up to 3/4 days after preparing them. Bring them to parties or enjoy them as a snack at home: everybody will love them!
Social Media Channels
Ingredient Selection Tips
Try to look for Medjool dates, as they have the richest taste. Check that the dates are not too hard on touch, but choose those that are slightly soft: this indicates that they are fresh and tasteful.
There is a difference between cacao powder and cocoa powder. Cacao powder is made of cacao beans that have not been roasted, which makes it higher in antioxidants and magnesium. Therefore, it is a healthier choice than the more processed cocoa powder.
Noteworthy Health Benefits
Dates are highly nutritious. They are rich in minerals and vitamins such as potassium, magnesium, copper, manganese, iron, and vitamin B6. They are also high in fiber and antioxidants. At the same time, they are also high in calories, which makes them a very energizing food.
Here are listed some health benefits of consuming dates:
- They may promote brain health
- Dates may promote natural labor
- They are an excellent natural sweeteners
- Dates can promote bone health
- They can help with diabetes management
Cacao powder is rich in fiber, iron, magnesium, potassium, and protein.
Here are some health benefits of this powder:
- It can reduce the risk of digestive problems and irritable bowel syndrome
- Cacao powder can lower blood pressure
- It may help to reduce diabetes risk
- Cacao powder may help to lower heart disease risk
- It may help to reduce inflammation
Also, consider checking this article if you would like to find out more about the benefits of peanut butter!
Sugar-free Chocolate Date Easter Eggs w/ Coconut & Peanut ButterYum
Dark Chocolate Shell
- ½ cup Monk Fruit Powdered Sugar (better if pure, no erythritol blend)
- ¼ tsp Vanilla
- ⅛ tsp Beet Powder
- 2 tbsp Cream of Coconut unsweetened
- Remove the pits from the dates, cut them on one side , and set aside.
- Add unsweetned coconut flakes and natural peanut butter into one bowl. Mix to combinem.
- Line a plate that you can fit into a freezer with parchment paper.
- Stuff the dates with the peanut butter and the coconut mixture and place them on the plate you have previously covered with parchment paper.
- While you are filling them, try to shape them into an egg shape.
- Place them into your freezer for at least one hour.
Sugarfree Chocolate Shell
- Heat the coconut oil (preferably unrefined) over medium-low in a small saucepan.
- Once it is melted and warm, turn it down to low. Then add the add Monk fruit sweetener, and whisk it until the monk fruit has dissolved.
- Add the cacao powder and whisk the mixture until it is completely smooth.
- Roll the stuffed dates into the chocolate, and place them back on the parchment paper.
- If you want, you can put them back into the refrigerator for a short time, and then repeat all these steps with another layer of chocolate.
- Add half a cup of powdered monk fruit sweetener into a large bowl.
- Add the vanilla extact.
- Add the beet powder.
- Add the unsweetened coconut cream and beat the mixture with hand mixer.
- Once everything is incorporated and the frosting is smooth, carefully place it into a pastry piping.
- Pipe the frosting with zig-zag motions across the eggs.
- Store the chocolate eggs in the refridgerator until serving.